Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Hunt

I have spend the last few weeks trying to get rid of some moles.
I was able to dispatch two of them the first day of the hunt with
my spade but the third one was very elusive. I tried waiting it out
at a spot he was espected to surface each day for many days but
the heat drove me to seek a different solution.

First was the poison pellets. The mole would have none of that. Next
was the mole trap. The mole set the trap off twice but escaped
unharmed. Now was the time to put out the noise makers. The effect
of the noise makers kept the mole from ranging far enough to obtain
enough food to make him happy. Next, I sprayed the area with mole
repellent. So with each of the above in use all at the same time, the
mole finially got hungry enough to eat some of my poison pellets.
Just decided to commit suicide.

Now with this under control I find a new challange. I discovered we
have a bag worm infestation in all the new 500 small pines I put out
two years ago. This pines are now about 8 feet tall. Also infested are in
several 30 to 40 foot tall cedar. I have been able to spray the small
pines and pickoff and burn the bag worm but I am in the process of
cutting down all the infested cedars, collecting and burning the bag
worms and using the tree to prevent erosion on a neighbors property.
There are about 15 trees to cut and pick off the worms. I have completed
four. It sure is hot out there.

4 comments:

  1. Next time you have a mole, I will send a cat or two up to your home. They are outdoor cats and very good mole catchers. You can even keep the cats forever if you want! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can your cats eat bag worms and cut doean trees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See wht wine does to your spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I thought you were trying to spell in "Southern Phonetics". :) I don't know if my cats eat bag worms, but they might. They can't cut down trees, but they will sharpen their claws on them! :)

    ReplyDelete