Thursday, February 7, 2013

My First Home # 2

Since I left at the age of 6 or 7 I don't remember a great deal about my first home. I can't even remember where I slept. It was a two story home with no running water and no electricity. It was heated by a wood/coal stove in a small basement feeding one large register in the front room and a wood/coal cook stove in the kitchen. I do know from hearing about it that mom got upset when the older boys brought the new riding horse into the house.

There was a bath tub in a small room you had to climb a few stairs to get to. There was a small tank at the head of the tub with a burner under it to heat some bath water. You had to carry water if you wanted a bath. We use kerosene lamps for light.

There was a barn, sheds, pig pens, chicken house, , fields, a small pond, some timber and a small ice house. We stored ice blocks cut from the pond in sawdust for summer in our ice box.

The depression force us out and one of dad's brothers who had money bought it. In the process of his remodeling he removed a lot of supporting structure from the inside and took off the top and made a flat roof. It soon started to sag and come to pieces and leak. It is no longer in use and is dilapidated or has been torn down.

1 comment: