Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shameful Incident

Since I spent two tours of duty in Korean War I guess I can comment on the subject
without anyone raising to many objection.

I have a couple of items I will touch on. One is a recent story by Charles J. Hanley,
Associated Press. The other is about a friend of mine who served aboard ship with me.

I will cover the AP item today and the other later.

The primadona five star general and his kiss butt staff intentionally
ignored intelligence reports that China was moving troops into North
Korea and the 8th Cavalry had been sent to a position just 50 miles
from China. The Chinese troop quickly closed the trap that they are famous for
setting. Higher headquarters rejected requests for a pullback. Then they
refused to send artillery forward to support a rescue. Finally they ordered
a pull back. Trapped by two Chinese divisions, troops of the 8th U.S. Calvary
Division were left to die. The 3rd battalion lost some 600 of their 800 men.

This is just one of the shameful and little know incidents caused by a sickness
in leadership in the military and inadequate leadership at home. Our president knew
that our military leadership needed to be replaced but did nothing. The loss
of so many lives was completely unnecessary. Mass grave at Unsan still holds
260 of the MIA's from this Division. This abandonment at Unsan was without
a doubt one of the worse and most shameful to have been thrust on a military
unit.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Dad, for sharing your comments. I'm still hoping to read that book, The Coldest Winter, but I hope to read more about your perspectives in your blog or talk about them with you, too.

    ReplyDelete