Monday, February 28, 2011

Letters From Uncle Bill Part Five

They gave a couple rolls of toilet tissue. The Indians wanted to unroll the toilet tissue and divide it into six piles. I went out and walked around outside and when I returned they had used their share to wrap their hair and beards.

All in all it wasn't too bad an esperience. We were flown after our liberation to Naples where we were cleaned up and given new clothing and then shipped home.

I was given a 60 day recuperation furlough and my wife and I had 2 weeks at Miami Beach at a fine hotel on the ocean. I was then sent to Maryland to school for a month and then to New York
where I was the non com in charge of a large army Post Office. My pay was all loused up, but we got a room and same money from the Red Cross. Violet got a job in Wolworths and we got by OK.
I would eat at the mess hall and snitch food for her. Some fun. Actually we very fortunate and I thank God for all his blessings thru my life.

I don't know what I'd do to pass the time if it wasn't for the library. I read at least four books
a week. So with TV and crossword puzzles I get by. I always liked Michner, Clerre, Griffin etc.
But I can't keep track of the characters ond the plot any more the way my poor head is. My favorite any more is Dick Francis. His books are easy to read and they are not full of dirty words
and passionate love affairs. I try to keep up some kind of routine. That's why I get up every morning and go to early Mass. Jeopardy is a must and of course the Cubs and the History Channel is good most of the time. I used to try my hand at oil painting but I can't handle that any more. None of is worth keeping. I still have all the paraphenalia but I suppose its all dried up by now.

I heard from Jim today and John yesterday. Also got your last Email today also. I may have to get your address to send this.

All my love

Uncle Bill

THAT IS THE FINAL CHAPTER.

1 comment: