Saturday, February 26, 2011

Letters From Uncle Bill Part Three

There was a creek ran through the length of the property and my cousins Frand McMahon and
Marie and I had a lot of fun there catching minnows and tad poles. It was a paradise for a young boy.

Life was so simple if those days. Not to many cars. Only one paved in town. No TV's or computers. We didn't ever have a radio and young people even married one another. If an airplane should happen to fly over all the kids around would be out in the street pointing and calling 'airplane! airplane!

Then one morning ma called we smaller children around her and told us about the new house. She asked if we would rather have a stove or a new car, and of course she gave us both. I guess things were pretty good finacially. Daddy and I think three of the boys all worked in the mines and they all lived at home.

I think I'll close for now. If there is any of this you'd rather not hear about just let me know. Or
if there is something you'd like to know about tell me.

All my love
Uncle Bill


Ellen wrote back and ask about other things, including his experiences as a prisoner of war in WW II. Letter #2 follows.

Hello Still Rambling Bk II

Thinking back again on the 'Hollow' I can't remember my older sister and brother. Lizzie and
Helen could have been married by then but I know the boys were home. I only remember John
taking me to see what was left of the barn after the fire.

When we lived in the big house Helen always came home to see us and it was always so good to see her and she was always loaded down with gifts for us. She play the piano very well and knew
a million songs and had a pretty voice. One year at christmas she walked from town and was so cold when she got there she was crying. Her husband was very likable guy but he had too many
problems and she had a very difficult time with him.

When I was in high school I worked for her as a dishwasher in her restaurent in South Pekin.
I had a lot of fun there and made a lot of friends. She paid me a salary and bought me clothes etc.
It was during the depression and I was happy to be there. I had room in the hotel and she had her own apt. Once I brought a friend of mine with me to stay a couple of wks and he stayed all summer. We had a blast and she never complained. God bless her. My sister Lizzie was younger than Helen. She was just a sweet lady. I stayed with her in South Pekin also but she and her husband moved to Chicago when I was 11 or 12 and I saw my first talking movie the Granado Theatre on the North side. They would take us for rides at night to see all the sights and to the beach and Sadie was there once and we all went to the beach together and had a great time. I would go to the beach by myself and Peoria during the day. I didn't like her husband but I put up with him because she was so nice to me. She lead a tragic life God rest her soul.



MORE NEXT TIME

No comments:

Post a Comment