Saturday, October 6, 2012

St. Vincent 3/2/87

Up at 6:30. Still no water. Any water we drink or use has to be carried in by the bucket full from 2 to3 miles away. To work at 8:00 am. Ron and I put the last layer of blocks on the septic tank. some others put the cement cap on the block wall to the building.

After work we needed a bath. Two days without  ;under labor conditions is long enough. Ron and I went to the river with Stella and someone else. They washed clothes on the rocks. We went up river  out of sight, shampooed and bathed.. I wore my cut off shorts back to the house. Second time behind the wheel of the car. You drive on the right side of the road. /the car has the steering wheel on the right. The roads are all one lane mountain passes with high cliffs straight up on one side and straight down on the other.

Seeing what is here is somewhat like returning to life in my child hood.We had nothing, we use an outhouse till I was 22 years old. I had the teeth problems they are experiencing here. Spent most of my time in the back woods. The house we lived in was not unlike what you see here. I wonder what my parents would have thought  if Brentwood had sent a team to our town.

The rest of the team managed to get the river before dark. Sure was a good feeling.

The dental team returned at 8:30 pm. Had to turn people away. Joel said he got to all that were in pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment