Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bigotry

Watched the movie ,"To Kill A Mocking Bird" a few nights ago. It was a very good movie with very good acting. Gregory Peck is always good. I was impressed with the girl who played the part of Scout, Mary Badham, when she talked to her father about her mother.

The events of the movie occured as you would expect. The black man was found guilty and ended up dead. I ask myself the question. Would all of my grand children stand beside thier
parent facing a hostile crowd bent on doing harm to someone the parent was trying to protect
as the movie depicted. You know they would just like these 8 and 9 year olds did. If you have
not seen the movie, its worth your time.

On the same subject, I have been reading The KU KLUX KLAN IN AMERICA-THE FIERY
CROSS. I will relate only one of the items that I read that really threw me for a loop.

Nguyen Sinh Cung, from Indochina, spent time is America, did research and wrote
articles about Negro lynchings. About the furious hordes commiting crime without rick.
About blacks being beaten, trampled underfoot, slashed, insulted, bloodstained. etc.
About tying them to a tree, pouring gasoline on them, smashing in their teeth, burning them,
and killing a second time by hanging. He predicted that the clan was doomed to failure.
Ten years later, Cung returned to Indochina and change his name to Ho Chi Minh.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch, about the last part. Hurts everywhere.

    To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite movie of all time. I like the book, too, but I love the movie from start to finish, meaning that piano music during the objects-in-the box-opening to the movie. Realizing that Boo is Robert Duvall...on a later viewing....wow!

    I am going to come back with a link to a poem about Emmett Till, by Richard Jones, in his new book of poems. You will understand how awful it is, and how beautiful the poem is, the mother's feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will break your heart.

    http://www.coppercanyonpress.org/catalog/index.cfm?action=displayPoem&Book_ID=1423&Poem_ID=1642

    Click on "The Face" on the right, a sample poem from his book.

    If this doesn't come through as a link, you can copy and paste the http address into your browser to get there.

    Emmett Till is the boy accused of disrespecting a white woman in the South, and beaten to death for it. He was a northern boy visiting his southern relatives....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took me a while but I finially reached The Face.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete